Friday, May 19, 2006

Warbleriest State in the Land of the Free?

Tennessee might qualify for this, actually...

Totals for the last four weeks, mostly from my own place here, plus a bit of time at Montgomery Bell State Park and one day in Hatchie NWR. These are just the sums of the daily totals, so they include a lot of double counting for the local nesting species (marked with *):

Blue-winged Warbler 74*
Tennessee Warbler 67
Nashville Warbler 11
Northern Parula 106*
Yellow Warbler 5
Chestnut-sided Warbler 29
Magnolia Warbler 30
Cape May Warbler 2
Black-throated Blue Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 9
Black-throated Green Warbler 10
Blackburnian Warbler 9
Yellow-throated Warbler 11
Pine Warbler 18
Prairie Warbler 56*
Palm Warbler 12
Bay-breasted Warbler 12
Blackpoll Warbler 21
Cerulean Warbler 2
Black-and-white Warbler 49*
American Redstart 17
Prothonotary Warbler 24
Worm-eating Warbler 53*
Swainson's Warbler 1
Ovenbird 3
Northern Waterthrush 4
Louisiana Waterthrush 17*
Kentucky Warbler 37*
Connecticut Warbler 1
Mourning Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 160*
Hooded Warbler 26*
Wilson's Warbler 2
Canada Warbler 15
Yellow-breasted Chat 129*

35 species! Most abundant migrant? Why, the Tennessee Warbler, of course. The only two likely species not on the list are Orange-crowned (came through earlier) and Golden-winged. I'm worried about the Golden-wings, actually... they have gotten so scarce in recent years. I haven't heard a "seeeee buzbuzbuz" in quite some time.

2 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger Mike's Soap Box said...

Hey Bill:

Well I see you are analyzing Mike Collins data on the IBWO he reported from the Pearl River, according to Tommy Nelson's blog.

I thought you were through with all this crap with Ivory-bills?

As far as Mike Collins -- well as you know I have hard time believing he saw a IBWO, video one, or even heard one in the Pearl River. I just cannot.

I read some old transcripts of Mike Collins on the Virginia listserv, birdchat and also his comments on Bird Forum. Mike just comes off as a fraking snob, a over confident twit who looks at himself as being flawless in the field. Anytime anyone challenges him on bird sightings or the way he conducts his IBWO search he goes ballistic!

I guess he feels being a MIT graduate gives him some sort of carte blanche of never being wrong about anything!

I seen guys like him and birded with guys like him and the truth is they are all talk! It's always the same -- "do you know who i am" "I am a very respected man in my profession" " I graduated from a top academic institution and I am smarter than you" blah blah --

Mike Collins is a asshole!

IF there is a IBWO in the Pearl River I really hope this woodpecker continues to evade Mike Collins to no end! I would rather see some humble joe average birder stumble into this bird in the Pearl and captures the photo or video we are all waiting for.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Bill Pulliam said...

I'm not the slightest bit concerned with Mike Collins' personality, I am only interested in examining the sound and video recordings he collected to see what they might reveal. All my opinions on that have been stated in public on Bird Forum months ago. There's been no great behind the scenes cloak-and-dagger operation that I am aware of. And yes I did bow out of public IBWO discourse in March. There was nothing new being discussed and way to much nastiness (see, for instance, your own comment here).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter