Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Atlas memories

Continuing to archive my field notes into e-bird, I'm now reliving my South Carolina Breeding Bird Atlas days. Those were some really nice days of summer birding -- peddling around the dirt roads of the flatwoods and swamps on my mountain bike, listening to all the voices of the woods. I had Georgetown and Horry Counties almost to myself, it seemed. I vividly remember finding all those unexpected warblers nesting in the bottomlands -- Redstarts, Black-and-whites, Worm-eatings, Ovenbirds, etc. Plus the occasional Swallow-tailed Kite sailing overhead... and the Black Bear tracks in the trails. I do enjoy atlas work. Online summaries of the results are available in several places, including:

The BBA Explorer
South Carolina Breeding Bird Atlas

The blocks I covered were Bucksville #2, Cedar Creek #4, Dongola #6, Georgetown North #4, Georgetown South #4 and #6, Horry #3, Outland #6, Plantersville #2, Rhems #6, Wadboo Swamp #1, and Walterboro #4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter