Thursday, November 16, 2006

Home with the Armadillos...

One of the things that surprised me the most about moving here was to discover that I had armadillos living on the property. Last I had lived in the south, those critters didn't occur anywhere near this far north, at least east of the Mississippi. The county extension agent told me that they have been spreading north with the fire ants, following along a couple of years after the ants are established in a county. Interesting phenomenon, a native predator expanding its range in response to an invasive alien prey item. Last month on the trip to Pace Point, we saw a roadkill armadillo just about 6 or 7 miles south of the Kentucky line; I wonder if they've made it north of that border yet?

So this makes me wonder, now that there are armadillos in Tennessee too, does this mean that GOOD country music will start coming out of Nashville now also, instead of the pop-dreck-suburban swill they are pushing now?

1 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason, recently I have not seen nearly as many armadillos in SW Mississippi as I used to. Wonder if there has been any sort of disease problem, or something else?

On the other hand, feral hogs are becoming more common.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter